ONLINE: WSET Level 3 Award in Wines 780€ per person.
*Registration closes 15 days prior to the online course start date. If payment has not been received by this date your registration will be cancelled. Price includes IVA.
About the course
Gain an extensive understanding of wines through a 9-week online study programme that is flexible to work around your existing commitments. The Level 3 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course but through a supported and interactive Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of an educator.
Please note that the exam is completed in person at a Wine Academy Italia exam venue and not online.
This course is designed to develop your ability to describe wine accurately and account in detail for the style, quality and price of wines.
As you work through the course you will be asked to share your learning experience with the rest of the course group, looking in detail at the influences that affect each wine style and sharing tasting notes. Tasting is an essential part of studying for this course, and you will need to taste a minimum of 12 wines (not provided, but you will be given guidance on the styles to taste). Successful students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
- The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
- The key characteristics of the principal:
- still wines of the world
- sparkling wines of the world
- fortified wines of the world
- How to apply your understanding to make authoritative recommendations
- How to taste wines and evaluate quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- A one-day Tasting Tutorial in week 2 (this is not online and is to be attended in person)
- Online tastings on 12 general styles of wines (students to provide their own samples)
Do I need any prior knowledge?
This course is open to students who have passed the Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits. The course is delivered online and in English, therefore, basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
What are study options available?
The course is delivered over 9 weeks with a minimum of 10 hours study per week recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular access and participation are essential.
Requirements: Students require a suitable device for studying online, compatible web browser and consistent internet access.
The course includes an attended tasting tutorial in week 2 and examination of the course at one of our centres (2 attended sessions in total). Details of the dates and locations for these are outlined in the course dates.
- Daytime tasting and exam at a Wine Academy Italia exam venue.
- 9 weeks of online guided study
Cost includes access to the online classroom, study materials, online tuition, a one-day tasting tutorial and examination in person at one of our venues.
The exam is assessed in two parts, which take place in the last session of the course:
- A combined theory paper consisting of 50 multiple-choice questions and five short essay questions
- A tasting paper consisting of a blind tasting of two wines
- A mark of 55% is required in both parts to pass
How can I book?
An online, high-level, course for professionals working in the wine industry and wine enthusiasts. To register, select the online course of your choice in the ‘Upcoming Courses’ section of our website. Once registration is complete we will despatch the WSET materials directly to you. Please allow additional time to receive the materials in advance of course commencement.
Course specifications documents
Students should read the Level 3 Award in Wines specifications prior to their course, this document is included in the WSET materials that you will receive once enrolment has been completed.
- Download WSET® Level 3 Key Skills (830KB pdf document)
- Download WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines Specification 2016 (300KB pdf document)
- View Event Calendar
- Terms & Conditions